Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sheila Johnson States Women Should Never Lose Sight of Who They Are


See video

Transcript of video
I can't emphasize it more or enough, that women should never lose sight of who they are. And I heard a great quote. I was at a commencement address at Bennett College. And I think as the president of Delta Sigma Theta she says, never stand behind a man. For he will block your vision. Which I thought was terrific. It is important. I don't care where you end up in life, that never lose sight of who you are. And you know. I can say that. But I see so many women, they fall in love, or they think they are in love. And they let so many other people define who they are. Because that one person would say oh, I don't like your hair that way. Or you are too fat. Or you are too thin. And then suddenly, you are going, well maybe something is wrong with me. And at that moment you are starting to lose a grip. Instead of saying, I like my hair the way I am. And I like the way my body looks. Don't tell me how - I don't tell you that. But you - it is very important that you keep a hold with the tightest grip you can on who you are. And learn. I think more mothers should teach their daughters how to love themselves. Because there is so many things going on in society from looking at fashion magazines, to letting people - boyfriends or husbands dictate who you are. And that is not what is important. It is all about you. It may sound selfish. But it is not selfish. It is the most loving thing you can ever do to yourself. Or for yourself.

No comments: